Here’s something exciting for iPhone users: Free WiFi at participating Starbucks with AT&T hotspots. According to Kevin Shawver at the Starbucks Blog (computer link) (transcoded mobile link), here’s how to get started:
- Activate Wi-Fi from the settings icon on your iPhone
- Select “attwifi” from the list of available networks
- Enter your 10-digit mobile number and check the box to agree to the Acceptable Use Policy. Tap ‘continue’
- You will receive a text message from AT&T with a secure link to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot. You will not be charged for the text message.
- The SMS link will be valid for 24 hours at the location it was requested. Another request must be submitted when using another hotspot location.
- Open the text message and tap on the link for 24-hour access to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot
This does have some critics wondering why Starbucks is going this route, especially since iPhone users on the AT&T network can access the internet on their unlimited data plans via their mobile phone network. No mention was made of whether this service would apply to the iPod touch or other brands of mobile phones.